David W. Skeels
David Skeels provides business development services (retail research and strategy development, acquisition support, business process improvement and operating cost reduction, IT implementation and improvement, new product development and launch) to C-level retail client executives. He also provides Interim Senior Executive services.
David has held both senior retail and consumer consulting and executive management positions with a number of the world’s leading international consulting and data management firms. In 2008 he was EVP with Information Resources Inc (IRI) data syndication and research business, responsible for managing their global relationship with Proctor & Gamble.
Previously,David was Partner and Managing Director at Boston Consulting Group (BCG), leading their Retail and Consumer Practice, based in Chicago. He has also held Retail and Consumer Practice leadership positions with other top-tier consulting firms AT Kearney and Cleveland Consulting Associates (a division of Computer Sciences Corporation). He started his career in IT consulting at Accenture (formerly Arthur Andersen & Co).
David has assisted many global retail and consumer product clients in the development of their business. He has worked in most retail channels including mass discount, department store, specialty (apparel, automotive), convenience and online. He has addressed issues in store operations, DCs and regional and headquarters locations. Some of the major assignments he has led include:
- Post acquisition integration / operational productivity and cost reduction projects for Wal-Mart International in Brasil (Bompreço), Japan (Seiyu), Puerto Rico (Supermercados Amigo).
- An IT outsourcing program for ASDA yielding $110 million operating cost reduction
- Strategic sourcing and category management program for Albertsons yielding $405 million yearly savings
- Creation of the WorldWide Retail Exchange (WWRE) as the premier global B2B internet exchange between retailers and suppliers (created business case and assisted in soliciting charter member funding)
- Creation of UCCnet for Uniform Code Council, evolving into GS1 (Global Data Synchronization Network)
- Development and implementation of a complete activity –based cost accounting system for Meijer
- 12-month initiative for Victoria’s Secrets, cutting ‘Concept-to-Market’ cycle times by 40% generating $300 million reduction in cost from shorter lead times, improved production planning/scheduling.
- IT strategy design for a major C-store/gas station chain linking all front-end peripherals (gas pumps, till drawers, drop safe, lottery terminals) via touch screen to single back-room PC controller
- Upgrading the performance and value of Harley-Davidson’s dealer network. He was able to drive substantial increases in sales of motorcycles, parts, service and Harley licensed products (clothing and accessories) through a reduced number of dealers; improved remaining dealers’ ROI which drove incremental investment.
David has been featured in retail trade publications, including ‘Data Warehousing Institute Journal’; Retail Information Systems News and was keynote presenter and contributing editor to their sixth annual “Retail Technology Study”. Additional speaking events include FMI National Logistics Conference; National Association of Convenience stores Annual Conference; “INFOC,” annual technology strategy conference in São Paulo, Brazil.
David received BSc. Industrial Engineering from Purdue University and MBA in Marketing and Finance from University of Chicago. back»